Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Writing a Wrong

What do you do when your male lead gets framed and thrown in jail? In the Middle East. You write him out!

I knew I was just one of 65,000 people who signed Farzan's Change.org petition, trying to bring awareness and justice to his plight. But as a shamanic practitioner, I wanted to not only feel better about the situation, I wanted to lend the power of positive intention. So this past summer I places his character in prison, and wrote about it every day; waiting for the solution to show itself organically in the writing. In my story it came from a bit of deus ex machina. (I’m not spoiling anything by telling this!)

Luckily in real life, he was pardoned by the Sheikh of the United Arab Emirates; a benevolent sheikh, unlike the one in my book…

Life can be just as strange as fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment