Tuesday, May 24, 2016

How do I get inspired to write and what do I do when I have writer's block?

I need to be in that sweet spot that yogis aim for; where they are calm yet poised for action at the same time. This means I need to have already run in the morning or at least have done my daily yoga, in addition to at least a 10 minute meditation in addition to my three daily Morning Pages. Then I'm ready to commit to the page. I need to have a situation in a character's life that needs resolution. Sometimes I will meditate/trance and "channel" the character, in order to write from their point of view. I often get my best ideas while meditating (and yes, I try to write a word or two down so I can remember later) or while running, where a scene will work itself out in my head like a movie. Nature and periods of idling provide my best inspiration; providing the "fertile ground" for my imagination to tend.

What do I do when I have writer’s block?

I paint, just like Henry Miller did! For an eye-opening article about this famous author's foray into visual art, see https://www.brainpickings.org/2015/01...

No comments:

Post a Comment