Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Why Iran?


I settled on Iran as the location for this third novel in 2009. The feminine and relics representing it from the goddess era (a matrifocal time) have been denounced, destroyed, and demonized for millennia. I wanted the ultimate sacrifice and story of Amat, heroine of Book 1, to be carried forward, immortalized and made relevant in modern times. Amat’s story was about discovering personal power (as opposed to power-over). The cradle of civilization has experienced a stronger demonizing, suppression, and expunging of the feminine than many other areas of the planet. Amat’s story takes place in what is now Iraq, in 500 BC.


I came to know many new Persian friends while living in LA in 2009 and 2010. Some of these friends attended college in Tehran in the late 1970’s, while I was having the American experience of discos, exam deadlines, and a very different culture. Also, an actor who I’ve been in discussion with to play Mirza, the male lead of this book, was born in Tehran, and moved to Sweden at a young age with his diaspora family. His story and interest definitely informed The Secret of the Cylinder.

1 comment:

  1. In rereading the story it's comforting to know that I've moved so much farther along the creative trajectory that binds my mother and I as kindred souls forever. This story was written 10 years ago. Much has changed in my life...for the better!

    ReplyDelete